woensdag 24 oktober 2018

Piimäkakku

Lets bore you some more with another food talk!
I'm sorry, but food is just a big thing for me and in a lot of countries food is a big part of the culture, the same goes for Finland.


At my current placement I have seen a lot of Finnish dishes. This "Piimäkakku" is one of them. At first I wasn't really sure if I wanted to try this, because my coworker said it was an oat cake (I am not sure if this is right, because I can't find a bit about this online), but god, I'm glad I did! This is one hell of a cake, so good.

I want to try to describe the taste of it to you guys, but I don't really know with what I compare it. I think that the taste is most similar to the taste of 'ontbijtkoek' (Is there a English word for this??).


But I didn't only start to write this post to talk about the Piimäkakku, but I also wanted to share some other facts that I learned at my placement.
  1. Finnish people eat a lot of salt, so many people have a high blood pressure. 
  2. They eat a lot of Fish to keep their vitamin D levels up to standard, because the lack of sun. 
  3. There are a lot of over-weighted people (but I think that is not only a problem in Finland) 
  4. They eat a big lunch because they think it is unhealthy to eat a lot in the evening. 
  5. You can find the most salt in bread and cheese.
  6. They love Gouda and Edamar cheese the most (the Gouda sounds familiar right?! And I had to be honest with them and tell that I really hate the Edamar cheese... ) 
  7. Finnish people eat bread with every meal, so also when they already have potatoes or rice with their dish. 
  8. They eat a lot of potatoes.
  9. Drink a lot of milk, A LOT.
  10. And coffee of course
  11. Fins love sausages!
  12. Karjalanpiirakka is a common Finnish thing to eat. It has a a rye crust and porridge in it. You have to put some butter on it and heat it up in the microwave. (Didn't try one yet, but it's on the list)
  13. And not to forget, the korvapuusti, the cinnamon roll. 
  14. A dish that you can't miss at breakfast is Porridge. It's the Finnish oatmeal. They make it with water and put milk with it afterwards. They top it of with jam/marmalade. (Doesn't look like something that I would want to try...)
  15. Another classic is rye bread. Fins make a sandwich out of it for breakfast. I really like this one!
After writing this post, I have no longer any excuses to not start making a film as an assignment for my Finnish class, in which I have to introduce myself in Finnish and embarrass myself. Wish me luck. 

Nähdään!

Aniek 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Lähdetään!

Or make it a little bit easier, let's go!  My first blogpost... Writing this while sitting in my room in Turku, Finland - 1.667 km f...